Monday, November 9, 2009

Do I Look Good?

I have two elder sisters who are 11 and 9 years elder than me, so when they were teenagers they lived their own life, where I was only an observer. I was always watching them like a role-model in my life, how they dress, how they do their make-up, and I was always imagining myself doing the same things. I remember, how everyday they were getting up two hours earlier to take a shower, to set their hair, to wear make-up, which would be the same color as their blouse, to iron all the clothes. Finally, when they were ready to go, both of them looked like models just before the run. So I thought that all students look like this everyday, and when "my time" would come I would also have to wear high hills and fancy clothes every single day.

Now I am 19...I can say that "MY TIME FINALLY CAME!!!"

But my time came when I was in the US, far from family and sisters. Can you imagine how much I was surprised to see American students during week-days?! No hills, no make-up, no skirts, I am not even talking about costumes. Almost every girl, that I see everyday, is wearing a $5 t-shirt, Nike shorts and flip-flops; nice pony-tail is bouncing from left to right, when they run, bent under the weight of The North Face back-pack, with the fulminating bottle of water on it.

I was very surprised, but I made a conclusion that, probably, American girls just don't like to show off and they just lead a more ascetic style of life, which I, being very lazy and preferring to sleep an extra hour rather than ironing my dress or a blouse, appreciate. However, I was even more shocked when the week-ends came, and I saw all bunches of GORGEOUS ladies going out of the dormitory. Those girls, whom I saw yesterday in a Tyler's t-shirt, were in absolutely trendy clothes, with an outstanding make-up and hair style. Exactly at that moment I started to analyze the situation, and I realized that it is a totally cultural thing, it is even deeper than personal preference or weather difference. It is something that people are not taught to do, but it is the way it is. It is not bad or good, but it is various for different cultures.

From that moment I did not try to find the same type of Tyler's t-shirt or learn how to make the pony-tail that it would bounce in exactly the same way, as it does on American girls. I just realized that I am a reflection of my native culture, I am a representative of my country in the USA, and I have to be proud of it. However, it doesn't mean that I spent two hours in front of the mirror everyday, I still wear blue jeans and casual outfit; moreover, I wear my make-up only on special occasions...))) Nevertheless, the point is that I don't try to be the person that I was not born, and the culture is something that comes "inclusive" in our blood.

So, let's just enjoy everyday of our life without being concerned about the way we look, but just being ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. Like you said, I also thought that girls in America are completely differnt during the weekends. They look gorgeous. When I lived in the Castilian, my roomate was same. In my point of view, we are beautiful as we are. You are right. Let's enjoy our lives without being concerned about the way we look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that I like the U.S. is that Americans don't care much about what others wear. Americans respect every individual and the right of his or her dressing. Being living is a place like this, you should enjoy being yourself. Also, don't forget to keep Austin weird.

    ReplyDelete